Friday, February 17, 2012

My Oscar predictions: Supporting roles

Every year, it's incumbent on critics to make Oscar predictions. Rather than flood you with predictions, I thought I'd try something different this year. Throughout the coming week, I'll gradually work my way toward best picture as I consider the major categories. So without further ado, my first predictions for the 2012 Academy Awards, which will be handed out on Sunday, Feb. 26.

Best supporting actor, the nominees are:
Kenneth Branagh, My Week With Marilyn
Jonah Hill, Moneyball
Nick Nolte, Warrior
Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Max Von Sydow, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Sure I'd love to hear a Nick Nolte acceptance speech, but I'm going with the conventional wisdom in this category. Christopher Plummer will win for his portrayal of a late-blooming gay man in Beginners.

Best supporting actress, the nominees are::
Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
Jessica Chastain, The Help
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer, The Help

As always, a difficult category, but Octavia Spencer is the frontrunner who will prevail. If I had a vote, I'd cast it for Janet McTeer, who played a woman posing as a man in Albert Nobbs.

Caveats: Some critics believe there could be a groundswell of support for Max Von Sydow because he's had a long and estimable career. I wouldn't bet on it. Berenice Bejo might ride the coattails of The Artist, a favorite for best picture, but I'm thinking that Spencer will turn the rest of the field into also-rans.*


Join me, Denver Post Film Critic Lisa Kennedy, Starz Denver Film Festival Director Britta Erickson and Oscar maven Bob Becker for an Oscar preview Cinema Salon, 7:30 p.m., Wed., Feb. 22 at the FilmCenter/Colfax, 2510 E. Colfax Ave. We'll predict, I'm sure, but we'll also talk about why we still care (if we do) about the whole damn business anyway.






No comments: